ME Research UK awards research grants for novel clinical and biomedical studies that help to unravel the biology of ME/CFS or point towards treatments. We particularly welcome pilot studies or seed-corn projects that could lead to larger-scale research supported by a government funding agency.
We are happy to consider projects in all areas related to the biology or treatment of ME/CFS, but our main areas of interest currently include the following:
- Muscle fatigue – underlying mechanisms and potential therapies
- Brain and nervous system – structural and functional changes
- Immune system – autoimmunity and the role of specific antibodies
- Metabolomics and the search for diagnostic biomarkers
- Symptomatic impact of ME/CFS on other organ systems
How to apply
- We do not currently have deadlines for submission, and can receive applications at any time.
- Send us a summary of your project and its anticipated costs on our Outline Proposal Form.
- The proposal will be reviewed by our Science Committee, which will assess its suitability and decide whether to ask for a full application.
- If invited, complete a Grant Application Form with full details of the proposed project and the support requested.
- The application will be reviewed by external referees and our Science Committee, which will make a recommendation on whether to fund the project.
- The final decision on funding will be made by our Board of Charity Trustees, and award of a grant is subject to acceptance of our Standard Grant Conditions.
Forms are provided as fillable PDFs, which can be completed on computer and sent by email to Dr David Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to complete the form (you may see an error message about fonts, which can be ignored).
You will also need to send us a printed copy of the Grant Application Form – including the relevant signatures – to the address given on the form.
If you have any questions about your application or our procedures, please contact Dr David Newton at email@example.com.