At ME Research UK we are committed to protecting your privacy. When you interact with us by phone, mail, in person or online, we sometimes receive personal information about you. This page, together with our website terms and conditions, tells you about how we collect, use and store your personal information.
Please read this policy carefully to understand how we collect, use and store your personal data.
- What this policy takes into account
- How we collect information about you
- What information we collect
- Where we collect information about you from
- How we use your information
- Your consent
- How we protect your personal information
- How to find out what personal information we hold about you and how to change it
What this policy takes into account
- the Data Protection Act 1998
- the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 as amended by The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011
- Directive 2009/136/EC of 25 November 2009 (“The European Union Cookie Directive”).
How we collect information about you
We may collect and store information about you whenever you interact with us. For example, when you make a donation, fundraise for us or submit an enquiry, or if you register for our services, or apply for a job or volunteering opportunity, or otherwise give us any other personal information.
We may also receive information about you from third parties for a specific purpose, for example, a referee, if you apply for a job with us – but only if you’ve given them permission to share your information.
What information we collect
If you support us, for example make a donation, volunteer, apply to be an Ambassador, organise a fundraising event for us, ask for publicity/fundraising items or purchase Christmas cards, we may, depending on the nature of your interaction with us, collect:
- Your name and address;
- Your contact details, including telephone number and e-mail address;
- Information about what news and publications you would like from us; e.g. our Breakthrough magazine and e-newsletters;
- Information about any donation made; e.g. amount, date and nature;
- Your financial information for any donation or purchase you choose to make. Please note that if you make a donation via our website, we do not retain details of the credit/debit card used to make your donation. When making a payment via ME Research UK’s website, your card and personal details are provided by you directly to one of our providers of payment processing services (e.g. JustGiving, BT MyDonate, CAF or Virgin Money Giving) which handle all payment transactions made via the website on our behalf. Donations via Facebook are processed by Virgin Money Giving. If you make a donation to us directly with a credit/debit card, we do not retain your card details;
- Your bank account details if you choose to support us with a regular standing order;
- Your details required to obtain Gift Aid upon your donation;
- Information that you choose to submit when contacting us or using particular features on our website;
- Information about how you would like to be contacted.
We will mainly use your data to:
- Provide you with the services, products or information you asked for;
- Administer your donation or support your fundraising, including processing Gift Aid;
- Keep a record of your relationship with us;
- Manage your marketing preferences;
- Understand how we can improve our services, products or information.
When someone visits www.meresearch.org.uk we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up-front about this.
If you visit our site anonymously, we may however still record information about:
- the areas of the website you visit;
- the amount of time you spend on the site;
- whether you are new to the site, or have visited it before;
- how you came to our website – e.g. through an e-mail link or search engine;
- the type of computer, browser, network location and internet connection you use.
Where we collect information about you from
We collect information in the following ways:
When you contact us directly
You may give us your information when giving a donation, purchasing our cards or communicating with us electronically or otherwise.
When you give it to us indirectly
How we use your information
ME Research UK will collect data from you to process your donation, personalise your supporter experience or provide you with the goods or services you have requested, and to comply with our administrative duties, financial regulations and the law.
Personal details collected this way will only be used to provide you with information you would reasonably expect or have agreed to.
We promise to make all reasonable efforts to keep your details secure and will only share them in specific circumstance; e.g. with a courier, if items are being dispatched to you.
If you register or ask to receive our Breakthrough magazine, this may contain marketing material; e.g. leaflets and appeal information. Likewise, if you set up a Standing Order or fundraise for us (and, if via an online site, opt to allow us to make further contact), we will add your details to our Breakthrough postal list.
We will only send you marketing information by e-mail, SMS or phone if you have given us specific consent. If you withdraw your consent and then subsequently opt in, then your most recent preference will supersede the earlier preference.
If you have responded to an appeal, you may also receive fundraising mail, which you can opt out of at any time.
You can opt out of us using your personal details for marketing at any time, either by calling us on 01738 451234, by e-mail at email@example.com, or by writing to ME Research UK, The Gateway, North Methven Street, Perth, PH1 5PP.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate physical, electronic and managerial measures to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up-to-date, and that we only keep it as long as is reasonable and necessary.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal information, the transmission of information is never completely secure. E-mails, online portals and facsimile transmissions are not guaranteed to be impossible to intercept. ME Research UK cannot ensure the protection of your privacy using these communication methods. You may, however, contact us using traditional postal methods.
Your credit card information
If you use your credit card to donate to us, or buy something, we pass your credit card details securely to our payment processing partner, WorldPay, as part of the payment process. We do this in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Security Standard (PDF download), and do not store card details.
How to find out what personal information we hold about you and how to change it
You can request details of the personal information we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. We may ask you for an administrative fee of £10.00.
If you want to update the information we hold for you, or you think any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please get in touch as soon as possible.
Please write to:
ME Research UK, The Gateway, North Methven Street, Perth, PH1 5PP
Telephone: 01738 451234
Some third party cookies are set by services that appear on our pages, including Facebook, AddThis, Amazon and JustGiving. They are set by the operators of that service and are not under our control. Most relate to the ability of users to share content on this site.
Most browsers let users delete and control cookies. For advice on how to do this, as well as more information about cookies, we recommend visiting AboutCookies.org.