ME Research UK is committed to best practice in fundraising.
As a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, we are regulated by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and by the Scottish Fundraising Standards Panel (FSSP).
We want to ensure that if any donor or potential donor has concerns about our fundraising activities, they can be assured that we will aim to deal with the issue quickly and easily. That is why we have a clear fundraising complaints handling procedure in place which follows the three stage guidance procedure approved by the FSSP.
We are keen to hear from anyone who believes we have fallen short of the standards we set ourselves. You can provide this feedback by:
- Calling us on 01738 451234,
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Writing to ME Research UK, The Gateway, North Methven Street, Perth, PH1 5PP.
Stage 1. Contact ME Research UK and let us try to resolve your complaint
If you wish to complain about fundraising undertaken by or on behalf of ME Research UK then please contact us in the first instance as we will try our best to resolve the problem there and then. We will try to resolve the matter as soon as we can and we thank you for the opportunity to do this.
We will acknowledge and provide a response within 10 working days of receiving your complaint. We expect to be able to resolve most complaints within that timeframe, but if we need to conduct a more in-depth investigation, we will aim to provide you with a full response within 20 working days. If we are unable to meet that deadline due to exceptional circumstances, we will let you know why, and when you can expect a response.
In the unlikely event that we are unable to solve the problem straightaway or if you are not happy with the response, then we’ll either take your contact details and notes of the complaint, OR provide our details so that you can submit the complaint in writing to us. We will then try to resolve the matter as soon as we can and we thank you for the opportunity to do this.
Stage 2. Refer the complaint to ME Research UK’s charity trustees
Where you are not happy with the resolution at Stage 1, the complaint should be moved onto the next stage – a complaint to the charity trustees. This should be in writing and addressed to:
Secretary to ME Research UK (Complaint),
ME Research UK,
North Methven Street,
Perth PH1 5PP
Please specify the nature of the complaint and give sufficient details of the grounds of your complaint to allow the trustees to investigate and respond fully.
ME Research UK will:
- Send an acknowledgment within 5 working days of receipt of the complaint.
- Provide a full response within 20 working days of the acknowledgement being sent, or if this is not possible, advise you when you are likely to get a response.
- Try to address all the points of complaint when responding.
If we need to take action to address the problem, we will tell you what action we will take, why and when it will happen.
Stage 3. Complain to the Scottish Fundraising Standards Panel
If you are not satisfied with the response received from the Trustees, then you may refer the matter to the SFSP. The SFSP will look at your complaint only once it has gone through our complaints process.
The Panel will decide if:
- The complaint is one they can look at.
- The complaint is ready for them.
- Whether there has been a breach of the Fundraising Code of Practice.
- If there has been a breach, what, if any, action is needed to address the problem.
- Whether there are any regulatory matters, which should be referred to OSCR or in some cases the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) where a breach of data protection is likely.
- It will then make public recommendations.